letters to tao

Monday, March 12, 2007

more on cycling


some weeks back, when I was on the trainer Lourdes came and took some photos.
Doesn't really do much justice to the suffering but there you go.
oh I don't know what I want to say here, or, more accurately, don't know how to go about saying what I want to say.

I mean, why do I do it? Why do any of us amateurs and enthusiasts do it? It's a hell of a lot of suffering and sacrifice for, well, nothing, or just about nothing. I mean the closest I could go to describing why I do it would be that it's a hell of a lot of suffering and sacrifice. full stop. (redundant)
It gives me a feeling of accomplishment and, I suppose a feeling of superiority but the overall effect would hardly be called positive. The practice of cycling as a sport means that every sat and sun are completely taken up by first the early rising, the dog walk, the actual cycle outing (four hours or so now, much more in the coming months) and then the long afternoon of suffering; so called recuperation!
of course I have to take the doggy out again for an extended walk in the afternoon, to make amends for the hours that he has to spend waiting for me to come back.
And a couple of weekdays have to be about the same!
all that time that I could be painting or studying or fucking or sleeping or any of a number of other worthwhile pursuits. Dog knows I could just be watching television. But the same could be said of the time that I am here writing this. (not that I spend much time doing this, not at all.)
(and I don't watch television as a conscious act, or choice, just as I don't spend much money as a conscious choice, and because I don't have any of course.)
but it is a mystery.
anyway, I am not really saying what I want to and I have remembered another cycling related chore that I must do, so I think I might just leave it at that and go to put a sleeve in my front tire, after just one and a half outings, or about 200 kms, on a brand new tire, I got a puncture which was actually a cut, and although I didn't realise it was a cut and repaired it without a sleeve, I have a bit of a bulge there and would be happier if it was sleeved. so knowing that by the time I get around to having a coffee and organising the repair and so forth it will be time to get ready to go take my Monday classes.
so on that note, I wish you well tao and hope to come back soon with something to actually say.
love from Scott

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home